Prettifying our ordinary distribution board had been my dire wish for a long time. We had open trip switches, situated in our kitchen above the stove. Initially I looked for a new cover-plate with a lid, but could not find one sold separately, only complete distribution boxes. So I bought this ready-made piece of masonite and fabric paint matching the wall-tiles from an art-supply shop with the intention of making a lid. But, as life goes, it started collecting dust. Yesterday, while on leave, I decided today is the day. I unscrewed the cover, vacuumed the inside of the box carefully and proceeded to sand the white-painted cover. Marked the position of the lid, placed and marked the position of the holes to mount the hinges. Drilled the holes carefully and riveted the hinges in position. Then positioned the lid and marked these holes, drilled and riveted the lid onto the hinges. Thereafter I started painting the cover and lid. The fabric paint on the white resulted in a wood-like effect, which turned out quite nice. Soon as the second coat of paint dried I screwed the cover-plate back in position and applied a third coat of paint. I finished the job by decorating the cover and lid with some sea-theme card-making goodies.
I did some oil-based painting in the morning and placed this paintbrush in some turpentine to soak. I placed the brush I used for the fabric-paint in some water to soak. This morning I put a teaspoon of washing powder (vary the amount in accordance to the number and size of brushes) in a small bucket. Cleaned the brushes as best I could in their respective soaking fluids by rubbing them against the side of the containers—normally if more than one brush, for example in turpentine, I would brush them against each other—not using my hands, because turpentine dries out the skin. Added the brushes to the washing powder in a small bucket and pour hot water from the kettle I boiled. Then leave the water to cool down. When lukewarm, I would clean the bristle of the brushes thoroughly, remove any remaining paint on the metal and wood/plastic parts of the brush (with bigger brushes I normally make sure the brush is properly clean by rubbing my finger in-between the bristles) and then discard the water. Take clean lukewarm water and rinse the brushes thoroughly. Thereafter I take half a teaspoon of hair conditioner (vary the amount in accordance to the number and size of brushes) — fabric softener would probably also serve the purpose — and lukewarm water for the final rinse, where after I let the brushes dry before I store them away for future use. Many of my brushes have served me well for many years.